PHILOSOPHY RELATED TO ACTE
The philosophy of ACTE is centered on the African UBUNTU. This African perspective facilitates success not on an individual basis, but rather success for the collective group, understood through the slogan “I am because you are, and since you are, therefore I am”.
Archbishop Desmond Tutu further explained Ubuntu as “the essence of being human”.
“Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality – Ubuntu – you are known for your generosity.
We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.”
Nelson Mandela provided an example of Ubuntu as follows:
“A traveler through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food and attend him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu, but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not enrich themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you to be able to improve?”
The mission of ACTE is to provide social, cultural, financial and leadership opportunities for people in African rural settings (specifically Kaseese Region of East Uganda and TIllebery region in Tillebery) to improve their standard of living and that of their children through social/cultural exchanges and small business opportunities.
The Objectives of ACTE: Afro Tribal Cultural Empowerment are as follows:
- Provide opportunities for commerce and trade through the development and marketing of African arts/crafts and cultural exchanges for people living in African tribal settings.
- Develop small business opportunities through a micro-finance approach for targeted groups in Kasese, Uganda and Tillebury region in Niger, West Africa.
- To improve their standard of living and that of their children through social/cultural exchanges and small business opportunities.
- Develop leadership opportunities for people who participate in ACTE.
- Improve self-esteem for people living in marginalized situations through ACTE opportunities.
- Improve the standard of health, education and well-being for participants of ACTE.
- Facilitate the sharing of cultural, social and historical information from elders through AWE (African Wisdom Empowerment).
What would you like to do to participate? Please contact us by clicking on the button on the right.